Wednesday, March 23, 2005

 

Holocaust Survivor Demands Apology Over Stem Cell Research Comparison

Fred Taucher, 72, a Holocaust survivor and victim of Nazi medical experiments wants an apology from Washington state lawmakers who compared embryonic stem cell research to Nazi atrocities.

"I was just very much hurt," says Taucher, 72. "You don't know how it hit me. It's beyond my comprehension. Usually I do not get this emotional."

Three state representatives who oppose stem cell research made comparisons on the House floor in Olympia, Wash. last week between Nazi experiments and the potential dangers of embryonic stem cell research.

Rep. Joyce McDonald, R-Puyallup, one of the state representatives who made the comparison, says she is mystified by the uproar.

"I don't understand why they're so upset," she said.

Taucher and other Jewish leaders say the comparison trivializes the Holocaust and the murder of 6 million Jews.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?